What is it?
Cloud communication is on the rise, it’s being used more and more by businesses each day but what is it and what does that mean for you and your business?
When people refer to cloud communications they’re talking about how the end user accesses the system rather than any specific products or platform, this means cloud communication covers all forms of business communication such as telephony, instant messaging, e-mail, video and web conferencing etc.
Traditionally a business would need to buy a PBX system or some software to allow their business to make calls and send e-mails. How cloud communications differ is that instead of buying the software or system outright; you pay a provider who hosts the system (normally in a data centre) and you access it over the internet.
Advantages of cloud communication?
The cloud communication service model provides several benefits to businesses when compared with buying the equipment outright and running it on-premise. The main advantages are:
• Lower capital costs – The capital investment needed to setup a VoIP Infrastructure in-house can be huge, which is especially difficult for a small to medium sized business to justify. Since cloud communications could offer the same services on a lower-cost subscription basis it makes it a very appealing option.
• Lower maintenance – Another reason that cloud communications is on the rise is that when compared to having an on-site system; the maintenance cost is much lower as you don’t need to get an engineer to come on-site each time a change is needed.
• Better support – Generally small to medium sized businesses won’t have an employee with the same level of expertise as the cloud telephony provider simply because they don’t have the budget to hire an in-house telecommunication engineer to maintain and troubleshoot their PBX system where as the provider will have experts.
• Fast and easy deployment – No hardware to install or software to configure means that getting the system up and running could be as simple as signing up as well as greatly reducing the time to get it implemented.
• Flexibility – The great thing about the cloud is that it only requires an internet connection and depending on the system it can require an app as well but it allows you to get connected and access the app from anywhere using any device.
• Scalability – Adding additional users or offices become as easy as sending an e-mail, with cloud communications there are no hard limits so you can increase your plan as your business grows.
Who does this benefit?
For small businesses the lower cost of the subscription based pricing makes it very appealing as well as well as making expenditure more predictable. Another benefit of cloud communications is that it allows the small business to have access to equipment that they wouldn’t be able to afford if they were to buy it outright. A small business won’t have the budget for an in-house technical engineer to look after the equipment so knowing that there’s a team readily available to deal with your issue comes as a big reassurance.
The biggest attraction for a medium-sized business is the scalability, opening a new office can become an extremely costly and complicated task; especially when you need to deploy a new phone system that can fully integrate with your other offices. This is why cloud communications has become such a popular choice, because setting up users in a new office becomes a simple task.
For a large enterprise the appeal of cloud communications come from the ability to collaborate over long distances and the flexibility. As it’s hosted in the cloud it makes it much easier to connect people on a global scale under a unified network; which is why it’s a popular choice for a business with international offices. The integration between cloud communications and multiple platforms has grown significantly over the past few years, depending on your UC suite it can integrate with your instant messaging, conferencing and document sharing applications as well as CRM which can provide extras such as analytics ready from the start.
As you can see there are a variety of benefits for a business of any size, if you think that cloud communications could be something that would be of interest to your business then please get in touch with us, any queries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or you can call us anytime.